Friday, November 12, 2010

LIVING

Volumes have been written about living each day to it's fullest because it might be your last but come on, now-- we never really expect that it will be: nor do we get up in the morning and, as we drink our coffee (or coke in my case) do we think "Gee maybe something will happen today to change my life."
And then it does.
As passionate as I am about my Basset boys, this boy with the big ears is my heart and soul. And so it was not nice when I noticed that he was limping, and I thought well maybe he has a soft tissue injury and it will resolve in a few days. But he continued. And I thought, maybe he twisted his foot and it will resolve itself.
But of course, it didn't.
And deep in my soul I felt a quiver, and then a shudder, and I thought: I KNOW why he is limping. He is ten. I have seen this a thousand times. But not MY dog, not my heart and soul, not my friend. He does NOT HAVE Osteosarcoma in that leg he does not he does not he does not.

But of course, he does.
One x-ray. I looked up on the screen and one x-ray. The bone ruffled and displaced, roughened, pieces moved.....a nice rad of Osteosarcoma. I looked at Doc and he looked at me. He said
"Do you want to take the leg off today or tomorrow?"

What? One of those beautiful long legs with the feathers that have never been cut? I thought: maybe putting him down now would be more humane. How do you explain to a dog that you are going to hurt him horribly to make him better---and probably only for a short time? A hole opened in my heart, my brain. Tomorrow--- I guess tomorrow. Let me talk to John.

And he said, is there no other way?

And there is not. Other than putting the dog down no, there is no other option. Well maybe there is at the University but I had already decided we were sticking close to home. There is the matter of being retired. The money.
The going back and forth in winter...everything I have always said one must do I did not do. I wept. My beautiful, faithful companion, who ever only asked to be with me, and now this. How unfair is that?

Well..to be honest, how fair is cancer, ever?

So he is not here tonight. He is someplace close geographically but a thousand miles away emotionally. He is drugged, he is, I hope, alseep and pain-free, and he is three-legged. There is an echo in my heart. He will come home but probably not for long. Osteosarcoma is one of the most unforgiving of cancers.

Remember this the next time your dog gets you up in the middle of night and you get up, angry and tired, and snarl at him. Remember this the next time you trip over her carrying your coffee and spill it and yell at the dog. Remember this the next time you vacuum and it is all dog hair and you think My God, is there no end to this?

Because there is. And it can come without warning, any day.


14 comments:

  1. Oh Bev, I am so sorry. When I think of all the holes in my heart from all the dogs I have lost over the years - I am so sorry...Mr. Cooper, Sir is very, very special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bev, words can't say the sorrow I feel for you. Mr Cooper sir always seemed to have a regal look to him, yet he has a heart of gold for his short-legged brothers. I will say a prayer for him and you tonight. He is a very special dog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry Mr. Cooper and you have to go through this. Cancer is horrible, animal or human. May your days with him be blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know Cooper is your heart dog. Your heart has guided you and John to the right treatment for him and will continue to do so. May you have lots of good time left with your sweet boy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so, so sorry. That's the hard thing about loving one of these creatures. We give them our hearts, fully aware that they will most likely leave this earth, leaving us behind, broken-hearted. Still, we would not choose to live without them. May the Lord give you peace during this time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are so sorry ..cancer sucks..osteosarcoma sucks the worse..

    We lubb you Mr Cooper!!!

    Bobby & Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  7. lois, buster,& miss sally whoNovember 13, 2010 at 4:10 PM

    from the mother of a mr cooper to the mother of another....i know...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bev,

    I am so sorry. Mr Cooper Sir is so special. I hope you have many days left to hug him and enjoy his beautiful personality.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bev,

    So very sorry. Much love and prayers to you and all the boys but most especially Mr. Cooper Sir.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bev, This is just so very sad. I've followed you and Mr Cooper Sir for years on the Daily Drool. Tears are running down my face as I write this, I just don't know what to say. Mr Cooper Sir will be in my thoughts and prayers...

    --Ed

    ReplyDelete
  11. Prayers for you and your family and, most especially, Mr. Cooper are ongoing, MomPerson.
    Having lost two dogs to cancer, I can empathize.

    ReplyDelete
  12. In our hearts and in our thoughts. Today and always. Throught this journey and forever.

    Ginny and the Hounds

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so sorry Bev that you and John have to go through this. No one should have to make choices like this. Mr Cooper Sir is such a special dog. My thoughts and prayers are with you through this trying time.

    JD

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bev,
    I too have followed you for several years on the DDrool. Through reading the drool, I feel like I know each and every one of you. I was heartbroken when I read about Mr. Coopers diagnoses. Tears fell as they did for Zelda & Mitchell.
    Fingers crossed the surgery has eliminated the cancer. Know that you will be in my thoughts and prayers. Healing drool for Mr.Cooper from my girls, Bucky & Lacey.

    ReplyDelete