Sunday, August 4, 2013

NOT SURE

I don't know if I will publish this or not.
There probably are no photos.
A few years ago I started communicating with someone on the internet, through a dog list that I belonged to, the Daily Drool. It's about Basset hounds.
This woman of course had Bassets and while at the time I was about the only one whose dogs wrote the list in "Bassetese", Debbie began doing it too.
Only, when I read her posts, they were better than mine.
Humf.
So I thought well maybe I should get to know her.
And one of us wrote the other, don't remember now who did what.

And then again.
And again.
And Again.

And we discovered, someplace in there, that we clicked. We held many of the same opinions, but not all.
We laughed about the same stuff.
We bitched and moaned about the same stuff.
We always listened to each other.
And before you know it, I had a friend. Someone I had never met in person, someone who lived far, far away. But nevertheless, a friend, a sister almost, the one I never had, so I never fought with her or shared clothes or boyfriends.

And now she's in trouble with cancer, and here I sit and I have never met her. What does one do? How did we come to care so much about each other over the internet?

For once I am thankful for technology, because without it I never would have "met" her, never would have been friends, and now, I reach out to tell her how much I care, and how deeply I want her to get better, and how I am holding my breath for her.

It's ok. I have good lung capacity.

9 comments:

  1. I've so enjoyed the boys posts and the elders as well. I, too, am holding my breath for her, even though I haven't gotten to know her or be her friend as you have. I still feel like she is a neighbor who means a lot. Thanks for the updates.

    Another Drooler

    ReplyDelete
  2. The world is a small place. I will hold my breath with you and perhaps if we hold it long enough, things will turn out OK. Elder Clara would want it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with all who are holding their breath, I too feel through the internet I have made new friends in Debbie and you too Bev. Although I have a Lhasa Apso rather than a basset, I feel a kindred among those who I read the posts and look at the pictures, and honestly I do now think that bassets do talk and talk just the way Brudder Elwood, Llewis, Nigel, Conley and Doc...and Elder Clara speak. I think we are almost like the characters in Avatar...alternates. I am holding my breath too for Debbie. Lub to all that drool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You asked my friend, how it is that you and Debbie came to care so much about each other? it is called Karma! it was just meant to be

    Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, so many care for her deeply. She is our sister, our friend, our neighbor, another basset lover like ourselves. She is us. We are slinging drool and on our knees praying for her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. DianaEGrove@hotmail.comAugust 6, 2013 at 1:09 PM

    We are slinging Irish drool as well. Thanks to the DD we have so many friends - some we have met, some we hope to meet in the future. We were lucky enough to meet Debbie at Mishgun a couple of years ago. The singers in the basset costumes will never be forgotten, and Brudder Elwood's book is wonderful. Diana.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the new hampshire houndsAugust 6, 2013 at 8:30 PM

    the internet..for all that is bad about it, there is an equal amount of good. it allows us to meet amazing people that we might never encounter in real life, and that is ok. we care about those folks as much (maybe if not more) than those around us.

    some of the folks i am friends with on the "net, i don't have to meet..it's all right to just know them online, others like you i would love to come across.

    the friendships are just as real & deep & caring. we care about debbie as well & hope for the best outcome possible for her, wayne & the dogs. each illness, sadness and yes joy..impacts us all..be it online or in person.

    so you hold that breath momperson. & when you turn blue, someone else will gladly step up & do the same until it it safe for all of us to breath again...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for capturing what so many of us feel Bev, both about Debbie and about the friends I've never met in person, but who I pray for, laugh with, and cry with online.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for capturing what so many of us feel Bev, both about Debbie and about the friends I've never met in person, but who I pray for, laugh with, and cry with online.

    ReplyDelete